Transatlantic Relations in
Business & Politics
October 14 - 15, 2022
Friday, October 14, 2022, 6.30 - 10.00PM: Opening Dinner
Location: Berlin’s SoHo House in Berlin-Mitte
Saturday, October 15, 2022, 9.15AM - 8.00PM: Conference
Location: Keynote presentations, panel discussions, and networking taking place in the premises of the European School of Management and Technology (ESMT) in the former DDR “Staatsratsgebäude” (Schlossplatz 1, 10178 Berlin).
9.15AM - 12.00PM: Opening Session: Status Quo, Challenges & Visions for Transatlantic Relations in Industry
Presentations by experts like
- Prof. Lars-Hendrik Röller,Professor of economics at ESMT, Chairman of BlackRock, and former Chief Economic Advisor to German Federal Chancellor Merkel and G7 and G20 Sherpa.
- Dr. Manfred Bischoff, Honorary Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Mercedes-Benz AG, former Chairman of EADS and Chairman of the Board of Daimler AG
- Simone Menne, President of the American Chamber of Commerce in Germany, Board Member of Deutsche Post and Henkel AG, and former CFO at Lufthansa and Boehringer Ingelheim AG
- Gordon Riske, Chairman of the Board MTU Aero Engines and former CEO of KION
The discussion will be moderated by Frank Mattern, Chairman of Frank Mattern Advisory & Investments and Director Emeritus McKinsey&Company. Mr. Mattern, WG'90, is also a member of Wharton’s Executive Board for Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
2.00 - 4.30PM: Afternoon Session: Transatlantic Specifics in Venture Investing & Start-up Formation
Panel discussion with leading VCs and founders, including
- Jason Whitmire, Co-Founder and General Partner of BlueYard Capital, a global early-stage VC firm
- Jan Borgstädt, serial entrepreneur and founding partner of JOIN Capital, focused on pre-Series A investments in Industry 4.0 and enterprise tech
- Bernhard Janke, Partner with 468 Capital, a Berlin/ San Francisco-based technology investor launched in 2020 by a team of alumni of Twitter, AirBnB and Rocket Internet
- Klaus Wegener, Co-Founder & Managing Director at 35up
- Andrea Fernandez, Co-Founder of and CEO of Vitamin
The discussion will be moderated by Bernd Wendeln, WG'04, Managing Partner of Wenvest Capital and Chair of Wharton’s Executive Board for Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.
5.00 - 6.00PM: Cultural Intermezzo
Opportunity for guided tour of the Feuerle Collection in Berlin-Kreuzberg, featuring exquisite ancient Chinese and contemporary art in the unusual location of a former WWII bunker.
6.30 - 8.00PM: Networking & Closing
A final get-together for an aperitif & appetizer will take place at ESMT’s premises, providing an excellent opportunity for discussions & networking with fellow alumni & Wharton faculty.
Prof. Philip Nichols from Wharton’s Department of Legal Studies & Business Ethics will get us started with an update on his latest research. Prof. Nichols has co-led this year’s Wharton Global Modular Course to Latvia and Estonia and was a long-time member of the American Council on Germany in the past.
Afterwards, ESMT’s central location will provide an excellent starting point for a night out in Berlin’s vibrant restaurant scene.
REGISTER NOW for the full event at 440 €, which includes
- Opening dinner at SoHo House on Fri, 14 Oct 2022 (food & drinks included) and
- Full access to one-day conference on Sat, 15 Oct 2022 (lunch & dinner aperitif included)
Friday's Opening Dinner and the Saturday Conference can also be booked separately at 220€ p.p. each.
Participation in the guided tour of the Feuerle Collection can be booked at an additional 40€ p.p.
Registration is open to all Wharton and Penn Alumni and their guests (+1). INSEAD Alumni & Ivy Circle Members are cordially invited, too, to join us for this event of learning, fun, and networking.
Payments on our website can be made via credit card in the course of the check-out process. If you require alternative payment options (PayPal, transfer), please contact [email protected]
Registrations are considered on a ‘first come, first served’ basis and are binding only after receipt of the complete registration fee.
Please click here for registration.